Sunday, January 08, 2006

Steve Ballmer contradicts himself

Steve Ballmer throws out a blatant contradiction

Steve Ballmer reminds me of my self when I used to have computer debates back in high school.

NO! Microsoft will always rule the world!
NO! Linux will destroy them
Netscape rules.

My friends and I would make computer predictions. One common thread in all the debates is that we’d all act like we knew everything. The tone in our voices said it all.

Then I went to college and grew up. Steve Ballmer didn’t. It’s pretty easy to pick up on his arrogant tone when he talks. Here’s the link.

Then Steve throws out a blatant contradiction. The old do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do. Grr.


STEVE SHEPARD: What was the best, wisest advice Bill Gates ever gave you professionally and personally? He got you to work there.

STEVE BALLMER: The best advice. I say probably the best advice he ever gave me was to drop out of school. (Laughter.) And that was a huge deal. I mean, my dad didn't go to college, as you mentioned, and the notion that I was going to drop out of business school was just loony to him, I mean, beyond insane. And if it hadn't been kind of for Bill's persistence and encouragement and advice, I'd probably be selling auto insurance right now.

STEVE SHEPARD: What we all tell our kids, you know, you look around and you see Bill Gates dropped out of college, Steve Jobs, Michael Dell, Larry Ellison, all these people didn't go to college, who didn't finish college, "Hey, dad, I don't have to go to college either," what do you say to your kids?

STEVE BALLMER: I think if your kid comes to you with an idea that's compelling, as Michael Dell, Larry Ellison and Bill Gates, give 'em some money and tell 'em to drop out. (Laughter.) And in the 99.9999999 percent case tell them to get back to work, which is what I'd tell my kids..


Then not more than 2 minutes later....

STEVE SHEPARD: Why aren't there more women at the top levels of Microsoft?

STEVE BALLMER: I just finished a set of reviews of all of our businesses, the people, where all we did was talk for basically a day with each of our business leaders about people issues, who, what, where, when. We talked about diversity, we talked about how we broaden diversity, we talked about our talent pool. And in a sense I'm proud because we've made progress over the last few years in terms of the number of women vice president, executives at Microsoft. This was a year of again progress. I think we're up to 14 vice presidents in our ranks out of about 100, up from 10 roughly 18 months ago, so progress.

You could say, OK, that's still a small number and I think that's right. I think one of the key issues is if you look at our employee population, our employee population is about 65 percent people with technical background, and if you look at the graduation rates for women in technical fields, particularly in computer science, we are not disproportionately below or above the number of women who get into technical fields, and I think we more reflect the fact that we're looking for technical people.

What can we do, what can society do to encourage more women to get in the technical field? That's a very good and important question where a lot of ideas are being experimented with. I don't think there's any one breakthrough though yet we can point to.

No comments: