Monday, June 07, 2004

War on Terror vs. Cold War

I suppose they have many similarities. One stark exception is this: While the Cold War was arguably won thru massive defense spending, employing the same strategy on the War on Terror would be disastrous. The federal government has spent over 200 Billion dollars on the Iraq war, and that doesn't bode well for the good guys. No country can spend that much money on the War on Terror, especially when it has no end in sight.

The only way in my mind that this problem can be solved is through increasing our intelligence. The current state of the CIA is an absolute embarrassment for the United States. Why do I have this lingering feeling that even Aljazeera has more information on terrorist kingpins than my own Central Intelligence Agency?

I guess a major problem with the CIA is that the security of the country takes a back seat to the job security of the handful of people that run the Agency. Not good.

No comments: