Sunday, January 16, 2005

Titan

Maybe I'm just a complete nerd, but for whatever reason, I was really looking forward to the Cassini/Huygens probe landing on Titan. I think I can remember when they launched the mission in the mid to late 90's, but I've definitely been counting the days since the media talked it up last summer. Scientists talked it up like saying stuff like:

We can find out where where we came from. (As if there will be a sign when we get there that reads: "Earthlings came from aliens on planet X").

Maybe we'll see lakes of flowing liquids, not seen on any other body in the solar system. (That would be cool to see.)

Artists rendered these really cool looking images of what they thought me might see:
.




Now I don't want to ruin it for you if you don't already know, but here's what we got:
.

Now, I realize the differences are subtle, but if you'll look closely, you'll notice we've got better quality of pictures of bigfoot. And even if the pics were of better quality, they'd just be clearer pictures of rocks and dust --Hardly something to write home about. Much less travel 2 billion miles for and then transmit messages half way across the solar system.

I guess I'm a bit disappointed. I think some have called Titan the last great mystery of the solar system. Well, if that's the case, the solar system must be pretty boring other than what's here on Earth.

No comments: